Monday, November 16, 2009

Water Thicknee & Racket-tailed Roller



Hi Pietro

The white wingbar and the fine vermiculations (just dark feather shafts) on
the mantle make this a Water Thicknee Burhinus vermiculatus. Senegal shows
much darker feather centers on the mantle, more like a Spotted Thicknee.

This is the "normal" adult Racket-tailed Roller. Sadly Stevenson & Fanshawe
chose to illustrate the far rarer "form" "weigalli" (or something like that,
no books here on the beach in Dar.) which has a lilac breast and may
represent an imm plumage.

great pics, please send more ......

Neil

>>ciao Neil
>
> how are you?
> I hope everything is fine
>
> i wonder if you can help me
>
> I have a couple of questions about IDs
> I am sending you 2 pictures
> 1 Raquet tail Roller, Ruaha NP Miombo woodland most of the rollers i
> see there are this strange blue color on the chest. Some years ago
> Spike told me i is a blue vagrant. I would be happy to know more if
> you can tell me something
> 2 Thick knee but not sure about the specie. picture taken in the
> Kazinga channel Queen Elizabeth NP Uganda. Micol and me thought it
> was a Senegal Thick knee because of the facial markings. what do you
> think?
>
> have a great day
>
> Pietro
> Pietro Luraschi
> Safari Guide, Fgasa Level III

No comments:

Post a Comment