Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mystery bird


Hi,

Here's a little bird I found behind Emayani Lodge (near Pangani) at night on 10 Jan 2010. It was asleep, alone, on a twig under a thicket canopy near a path, about head height. When it woke up I only got the one picture. I assumed it would be something common, but I can't find it in the book, and I didn't see anything like it in daylight. In the field the main thing that caught my eye was the intense whiteness of its throat and breast. It's about the size and shape of a camaroptera. Closest I can find is red-winged warbler, but it's all puffed out so we can't see wings. Any idea?

David

1 comment:

  1. As nobody else appears to have a go permit me to hazard a guess. Wrong location for Tailorbird but it does bear similarities.
    The red at the eye looks to me like a forming wattle and this would put it in the frame as an immature Black-throated Wattle-eye.
    Location fits perfectly and the "intense whiteness of the throat and breast" too.

    ReplyDelete