Monday, October 26, 2009

Very odd sunbird sp in Katavi


ODD INDEED

MIST NET, BLOOD SAMPLE !!!!!

CLIVE, MARTIN, COMMENTS PLEASE. AM IN DAR WITHOUT ANY BOOKS BUT SUSPECT THEY WOULD BE OF NO USE AT ALL !!!!

NEIL

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Adam Kennedy"
> Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:50 PM
Hi Neil et al.,
> >
> > This morning I came across a very strange sunbird by our bandas here
> > in Katavi. On first impression I thought it to be just another Marico
> > that occassionally comes through but then I saw two very yellow
> > pectoral tufts (although more obvious, and seem to be "chest flashes"
> > rather than tufts). Thinking it was just an odd plumage for a common
> > species, I collected my camera and took the attached images (plus lots
> > more). On closer inspection of the images, I hope you'll agree that it
> > really is quite odd and I can't seem to ID it from my field guide.
> >
> > To my eye, the bird was structurally similar to Marico and the photos
> > do suggest various attributes to this species, namely; blackish belly,
> > greenish-blue sheen to irridescent areas and on the chest a blue band
> > with a faint purple band emerging underneath. But even without the
> > yellow tufts, it still doesn't look quite right.
> >
> > I have considered that it may be a male Beautiful coming into breeding
> > plumage as that species does have a yellow flash on the sides of the
> > chest but this individual showed a short tail and no central streamers
> > so I'm inclined to rule this out. Also, the combination of blue/
> > purple breast band would discard this species, would it not?
> >
> > Has anyone encountered such a sunbird in his plumage before? Maybe
> > this bird is a hybrid (?), something like Marico/ Beautiful or
> > Marico/Variable?
> >
> > All suggestions welcome.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Adam
> >
> Neil and Liz Baker, Tanzania Bird Atlas, P.O. Box 1605, Iringa, Tanzania.
> Mobiles: 0776-360876 and 0776-360864.
> http://tanzaniabirdatlas.com
> Subscribe to: tanzaniabirds-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

No comments:

Post a Comment